The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) awards Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships each year. Funded by the Government of Alberta, these scholarships reward the high level of achievement of students pursuing graduate studies in Alberta.
The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship at the master’s level is valued at up to $10,800 for a full-value award, and up to $5,400 for a half-value award. The start date and duration of the award will be determined by the department.
The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship at the doctoral level is valued at up to $15,000 for a full-value award, and up to $7,500 for a half-value award. The start date and duration of the award will be determined by the department.
All fields are eligible for funding.
Eligible applicants must:
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident during the tenure of the award.
• Be registered full-time during the duration of the award.
• Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher over the last 15 credits of graded coursework (or closest approximation thereof).
• Doctoral applicants must be registered in their 1st – 6th year of a doctoral degree program, or must be recommended for admission to a graduate program by the department.
• Master’s applicants must be registered in their 1st – 4th year of a master’s degree program, or must be recommended for admission to a graduate program by the department.
- Application Procedures
Students should contact their department for details about the department selection process and the internal department application deadline (if applicable).
Some departments may choose to run an internal competition in which students are required to complete an application package as part of the department selection process. In this case, departments are welcome to make use of the following forms:
• Queen Elizabeth II Application Template
• Letter of Reference to Support Application for Graduate Awards
- Nomination Procedures
Each department is assigned a funding allocation by FGSR, and then selects nominees for QEII Graduate Scholarships both at the master’s level and doctoral level (if applicable) based on those allocations. The department then nominates students to FGSR by submitting the Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship Nomination Form and applicable transcripts (refer to Departmental Memo for details and submission instructions)..
Please see the departmental memo and allocation table below for more information:
• 2019 Departmental Memo
• 2019 Departmental Allocation Table
- Adjudication Procedures
The FGSR verifies eligibility of department nominees, and notifies winners directly.
Nominations are due at FGSR by 4:00 pm on Thursday, July 18, 2019.